2013 Irish Derby Betting Preview
The attention of the European racing world turns to Ireland this weekend for the running of the 2013 Irish Derby at Curragh.
The Irish Derby has drawn a strong field that is headlined by Ruler of the World who is aiming to become the seventeenth colt to win the English-Irish Derby double.
The Aidan O’Brien-trained colt is on top of the 2013 Irish Derby betting market at Bet365 followed by Libertarian (7/2), Trading Leather (5/1), Galileo Rock (8/1) and Sugar Boy (8/1).
Ruler of the World is a deserved favourite but is he a good bet to win the famous race? Our team of horse racing experts have analysed the form guide facts to come up with our top Irish Derby betting tips,
2013 Irish Derby Form Guide Facts
- The 2012 Irish Derby was won by Aidan O’Brien-trained Camelot who was ridden by Joseph O’Brien.
- Joseph O’Brien will ride Ruler of the World in the 2013 edition of the race while his father also has Festive Cheer in the field.
- Aidan O’Brien-trained horses have won the Irish Derby on seven straight occasions.
- Ruler of the World, Sugar Boy and Trading Leather were successful at their last start.
- Ruler of the World and Trading Leather has previously been successful at Curragh.
- Ruler of the World is the only former Group 1 winner in the field.
- Thirteen of the last fifteen winners of the Irish Derby were on the first two lines of betting.
- Six of the last seven Irish Derby winners were sired by Galileo or Montjeu.
- Festive Cheer is sired by Montjeu while Galileo Rock and Ruler of the World are both out of Galileo.
2013 Irish Derby Trifecta Tip
Ruler of the World (11/10) from Sugar Boy (8/1) and Libertarian (7/2)
History says that it will be very difficult to defeat Ruler of the World and he is currently available at very backable odds. The Galileo colt was very impressive in the Epsom Derby and has won his three career starts by a combined eight lengths. Aidan O’Brien has an incredible record in this race and he will have Ruler of the World in perfect condition for his tilt at the famous Derby double.
At his current Irish Derby odds of 8/1 Sugar Boy is the best value runner in the Irish Derby field. The Authorized colt was purchased by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Khalifa Al Maktoum earlier in the week, who clearly sees a great deal of potential in the son of Authorized. The three-year-old hasn’t been seen at the races since his victory in the Bet365 Trial, where he defeated Galileo Rock and Libertarian, and will go into the Derby the freshest of the nine runners. Sugar Boy is the clear danger to Ruler of the World and is an excellent each-way bet.
Libertarian finished one and a half lengths behind Ruler of the World in the Epsom Derby and was flying home late. The New Approach colt can stay all day and will be suited to the Curragh track that will give him an opportunity to wind-up. If the race is run to suit Libertarian is a winning chance and must be included in all Irish Derby trifecta bets.
You can find the best 2013 Irish Derby odds at Bet365.