2013 Coronation Stakes Betting Preview
The Coronation Stakes is the feature race on the penultimate day of the 2013 Royal Ascot Festival and this year has drawn one of the most star-studded fields in recent memory.
1000 Guineas winner Sky Lantern will once again do battle with Irish 1000 Guineas winner Just The Judge while the undefeated Pavlosk and Dermot Weld-trained Big Break have both been well backed in the lead-up to the race.
Just the Judge (11/4) is a narrow favourite in the 2013 Coronation Stakes betting market at Bet365 followed by Sky Lantern (9/2), Big Break (6/1) and Pavlosk (8/1).
With so many top chances this is a very difficult betting race so our team of horse racing experts have analysed the form guide facts to come up with their best Coronation Stakes tips.
2013 Coronation Stakes Form Guide Facts
- The 2012 Coronation Stakes was won by John Gosden-trained Fallen For You who was ridden by William Buick.
- Neither Gosden nor Buick is involved in the 2013 edition of the race.
- Just The Judge, Sky Lantern and Viztoria are all last start winners.
- Lovely Pass, Masarah and Maureen have previously won at Ascot.
- Just The Judge and Sky Lantern have been successful at Group 1 level.
- The winner of the 1000 Guineas has gone on to win the Coronation Stakes in seven out of the last ten years. The 2013 1000 Guineas was won by Sky Lantern.
- Only two horses in the last fifteen years have won the Coronation Stakes after not contesting either the Irish or Newmarket 1000 Guineas. Kenhope, Lovely Pass, Pavlosk, Purr Along, Siyenica and Viztoria bypassed the traditional lead-up route.
- Ten of the last thirteen winners of the Coronation Stakes started at odds of no longer than 6/1.
2013 Coronation Stakes Trifecta Tip
Sky Lantern (9/2) from Just The Judge (11/4) and Viztoria (9/1)
There is very little separating Sky Lantern and Just The Judge but the strong record that 1000 Guineas winners have in this race and the inflated price currently on offer for Sky Lantern makes her our top betting selection. The Red Clubs filly was upset by Sir Henry Cecil-trained Hot Snap in the Nell Gwyn Stakes but bounced back a fortnight later to win the 1000 Guineas from Just The Judge. The wide draw is a minor concern but Richard Hughes should be able to get her in a decent position just off the speed.
Just The Judge finished second in the 1000 Guineas before going one better in the Irish equivalent at Curragh last month. The Lawman three-year-old clearly has plenty of talent but at her current Coronation Stakes odds she is well under a fair price. However, the filly has never finished outside the placing’s in her racing career so must be included in all trifecta bets.
Viztoria did not take part in the traditional lead-up events to the Coronation Stakes but was very impressive in the Group 3 Athasi Stakes at Curragh last month. The Oratorio filly has a touch of brilliance about her and if the leading pair are hampered by their poor draws she could be the beneficiary. At her current odds she is well worth an each-way bet and should be included in all trifectas.
You can find the best 2013 Coronation Stakes odds at Bet365.
- Read more news on: 1000 guineas, 2013 Royal Ascot Festival, Athasi Stakes, Big Break, Coronation Stakes, Dermot Weld, Fallen For You, Hot Snap, John Gosden, Just The Judge, Kenhope, Lawman, Lovely Pass, Masarah, Maureen, Nell Gwyn Stakes, Oratorio, Pavlosk, Purr Along, Red Clubs, Sir Henry Cecil, Siyenica, Sky Lantern, Viztoria, William Buick