2013 Punchestown Gold Cup Betting Preview
The Grade 1 Punchestown Gold Cup is the feature race on the second day of the 2013 Punchestown Festival.
The Punchestown Gold Cup is one of the most open races of the festival with seven of the eight horses’ legitimate chances to win.
2013 Cheltenham Gold Cup runner-up Sir Des Champs is the current favourite in the Punchestown Gold Cup betting market at Bet365 and is currently available at odds of 15/8.
He is followed in the betting market by Long Run (3/1), First Lieutenant (4/1) and Captain Chris.
The 2013 Punchestown Gold Cup is a tricky betting race so our team of horse racing experts have analysed the form guide facts and betting statistics to come up with our top trifecta tip for the event.
2013 Punchestown Gold Cup Form Guide Facts and Betting Statistics
– The 2012 Punchestown Gold Cup was won by the Mouse Morris-trained China Rock who was ridden by Barry Geraghty.
– Morris has First Lieutenant in the 2013 Punchestown Gold Cup while Geraghty will ride Riverside Theatre for Nicky Henderson.
– First Lieutenant is the only last start winner in the field.
– Captain Chris, First Lieutenant, Kauto Stone and Sir Des Champs have previously won at Punchestown.
– Captain Chris, First Lieutenant, Long Run, Quito De La Roque, Riverside Theatre and Sir Des Champs are all winners at Grade 1 level.
– Six of the last nine Punchestown Gold Cup winners ran in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
– Sir Des Champs, Long Run and Captain Chris all took part in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
– Winners of the Betfred Bowl have an excellent record in this race. First Lieutenant won the 2013 Betfred Bowl.
2013 Punchestown Gold Cup Trifecta Tip
Sir Des Champs (15/8) from First Lieutenant (4/1) and Long Run (3/1)
Sir Des Champs has hit his best form after winning the Hennessy Gold Cup and running a strong second behind Bobs Worth in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Favourites have an excellent record in the Punchestown Gold Cup (particularly Irish-trained horses) as do horses backing up from the Cheltenham Festival. The son of Robin Des Champs is clearly the horse to beat.
First Lieutenant was finally rewarded for a consistent season with a brave victory in the Grade 2 Betfred Bowl. This race is a step-up in quality and it will be interesting to see how he goes against horses as good as Sir Des Champs and Long Run. It has been a while since the eight-year-old has strung together back to back wins but he is an excellent chance to win this race.
Long Run has had another strong season but will need to improve on his Cheltenham Gold Cup effort to win this race. The son of Cadoudal is ultra-consistent and has finished in the placing’s in each of his career starts so he can’t be left out of trifecta bets.
You can find the best Punchestown Gold Cup odds at Bet365.
- Read more news on: Barry Geraghty, Betfred Bowl, Bobs Worth, Cadoudal, Captain Chris, Cheltenham Gold Cup, China Rock, First Lieutenant, Hennessy Gold Cup, Kauto Stone, Long Run, Mouse Morris, Nicky Henderson, punchestown festival, Punchestown Gold Cup, Quito De La Roque, Riverside Theatre, Robin Des Champs, Sir Des Champs