Festival Trials Day May Be Moved To Sunday
This Saturday’s Cheltenham Festival Trials Day, featuring the 2013 Victor Chandler Chase, may be moved to Sunday as snow continues to hit the Cheltenham Racecourse.
The track is currently considered raceable but the covers protecting it are covered in snow which must thaw before the covers can be taken off.
The weather forecast does not looking promising which has Cheltenham officials looking at a number of alternatives one of which is moving the entire day’s card to Sunday.
“Over the last few days, we’ve been discussing the options for rescheduling Festival Trials day, should it not be able to take place on Saturday,” Cheltenham Racecourse Spokesperson Andy Clifton said.
“We’re not in a position to go into details just now,” he said but according to The Guardian he expressed the hope that more news might be available soon.
The British Horseracing Authority confirmed that alternative plans were being made but stressed that it was far too early to make any decisions.
If the Festival Trials would be cancelled it would throw into jeopardy the Cheltenham Festival preparations for a number of leading horses including Nicky Henderson-trained Sprinter Sacre.
The Doncaster Card on Saturday is also expected to be packed with quality with Grandouet, Peddlers Cross and Countrywide Flame all likely to contest the rearranged Champion Hurdle Trial.
Doncaster Racecourse clerk of the course Roderick Duncan is confident that racing will occur even if the Cheltenham card is cancelled or postponed.
“The forecast has improved a little and we’re forecast positive daytime temperatures,” Duncan told The Racing Post on Monday.
“There may be a flurry or two of snow around on Wednesday and Thursday, but not a significant amount, and there’s every chance that will turn to sleet or rain and we would have a real opportunity to race.”
Wherever there is racing this Saturday you will be able to find the best odds at Bet365.