2012 Gold Cup Chase Betting Preview
The jumps racing season really kicks off this weekend at Cheltenham and the feature race is the Gold Cup Chase.
The race will feature the maximum field of twenty runners and will be run as Cheltenham race four at 2.35pm today.
The favourite in the Gold Cup betting market at Bet365 is David Pipe-trained Grands Crus (2/1) who won the Feltham Novices’ Chase last season.
He is followed in the betting market by Hunt Ball (5/1), Al Ferof (7/1) and Walkon (8/1).
It is always tricky to back a winner at the start of the jumps racing season so to help our readers we have analysed the field, form guide, betting history and stats to give you our top selections.
2012 Gold Cup Chase Form Facts and Betting Stats
- The 2011 Gold Cup Chase was won by David Pipe-trained Great Endeavour who was ridden by Timmy Murphy.
- Pipe is saddling up favourite Grands Crus for this year’s race.
- Nadiya De La Vega and The Disengager are both last start winners.
- Poquelin, Al Ferof, Calgary Bay, Hunt Ball, Grands Crus, Quanitativeeasing, Tanks For That and Nadiya De La Vega have all won at Cheltenham.
- Poquelin, Al Feror, Calgary Bay, Grands Crus, Quanitativeeasing and Aerial have all previously won at a grade level.
2012 Gold Cup Chase Trifecta Tip
Poquelin (25/1) from Grands Crus (2/1) and Divers (14/1)
We are tipping the experienced Poquelin to upset Grands Crus and win this race. The son of Lahint has been a consistent performer for a number of years and is good enough to win this race.
Grands Crus is a classy performer but isn’t good value at his current price. He will likely be a factor in the finish and because of this must be included in trifectas.
Divers has a good record against a number of other horses in this race and it wouldn’t surprise if he runs a strong race. The son of Highest Honor is an excellent each-way bet and a good addition to exotics bets.
You can find the best odds for the 2012 Gold Cup and all other races this weekend at Bet365