2012 St Leger Stakes Betting Preview
The highly anticipated St Leger Stakes will be run today at Doncaster. The race is the last event in the English Triple Crown. Undefeated superstar Camelot is aiming to become the first horse since Nijinsky in 1970 to claim the prestigious crown.
Camelot is the favourite for the race at Bet365 and is currently priced at 1/3.
He is followed in the market by David Lanigan- trained Main Sequence (7/1), Great Voltigeur Stakes winner Thought Worthy (8/1) and Galileo colt Michelangelo (10/1)
Will Camelot be able to stay the distance and who will be his biggest competition? We have done the hard work for our readers and studied the 2012 St Leger Stakes form guide and statistics to come up with our top selections for the race.
2012 St Leger Stakes Form Facts and Betting Stats
– The 2011 St Leger Stakes was won by Masked Marvel who ridden by William Buick and trained by John Gosden.
– Gosden has Dartford, Michelangelo and Thought Worthy in this year’s race. Buick will likely ride Thought Worthy but a decision has not yet been made.
– Masked Marvel was the fourth favourite in betting markets. Michelangelo is the fourth favourite for this year’s event.
– Masked Marvel is a half-brother to Camelot.
– Camelot, Chamonix, Guarantee, Imperial Monarch, Thought Worthy and Ursa Major are all last start winners.
– Camelot is undefeated while Guarantee and Imperial Monarch have both won three of their four career starts.
– Camelot is the only horse that has won at Doncaster before.
– Camelot and Imperial Monarch are the only Group 1 winners in the field.
2012 St Leger Stakes Tip
Camelot (1/3) from Imperial Monarch (12/1) and Thought Worthy (8/1)
It is impossible to go past Camelot in this race. The colt is unbelievably talented and is extremely likely to revive the Triple Crown. While there are some doubts over the three-year-olds staying ability the fact is he is good enough to win the race even if the doesn’t stay the entire distance. He isn’t the best value at Bet365 so this might be one race where you just sit back and admire greatness.
Imperial Monarch is not certain to run in the race but is an excellent place bet if he does take part. The Galileo colt was extremely impressive in the Juddmonte Grand Prix De Paris and beat home Thought Worthy in the Bet365 classic trial. He is definitely a horse who should be in your exotics.
Thought Worthy is an exceptional horse but lacks the star quality of Camelot. He caused a minor upset when he won the Great Voltigeur Stakes, beating home the highly fancied Main Sequence and Noble Mission. Trainer John Gosden has won the last two editions of this race and should have at least one horse in the top three again in 2012.
You can bet on the St Leger Stakes at Bet365.
At Bet365 you will receive all the best race odds on all races throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland.